Also Known As
Purpose of the Progesterone Blood Test
Female hormone testing is an important tool for tracking fertility. Progesterone is a hormone produced in the ovaries that is vital to the menstrual cycle and supports pregnancy and fetal growth. A test of progesterone helps:
- Determine the cause of infertility
- Track ovulation
- Diagnose a failing pregnancy
- Determine the causes of abnormal uterine bleeding
- Monitors an expecting mother’s health as well as therapy associated with progesterone replacement
What Does the Test for Progesterone Measure?
Progesterone testing measures the level of this hormone in your blood.
Who Should Take a Progesterone Lab Test?
Women having difficulty conceiving can get valuable information from a test for progesterone. This test can be part of infertility work-ups or ovarian function tests. It may also be used by women undergoing infertility therapy as a way to monitor their treatment.
Progesterone Testing Preparation
You don’t need to do any special preparation for the blood draw.
Progesterone Test Results
High levels of progesterone are one indicator of a possible pregnancy. However, elevated progesterone may also be a sign of potential health issues, including cysts or ovarian cancer, or a problem with the adrenal glands. A progesterone deficiency may cause miscarriage and infertility. You should discuss any abnormal results, low or high, with a physician. You may also need more prenatal testing to pinpoint your fertility issues.
Where Can I Get a Progesterone Blood Test Done Near Me?
Getting a progesterone lab test is simple with Personalabs. It can be done in just a few easy steps:
- Visit the fertility test section of our site and select the progesterone test. Once you’ve purchased the test, download the lab order. (Note: You may not need a doctor to approve testing, depending on the state where you live.)
- Schedule your blood draw. We have 4,000-plus labs across the country for you to choose from, so you can find a location that’s convenient for you.
- Arrive at the facility for your progesterone test, bringing the lab order with you.
- Receive the results report (typically within 2 to 10 business days) at your private Personalabs portal. If you want to discuss the results with a doctor, set up a telemedicine appointment with one of our board-certified physicians.
Our fertility tests are part of our comprehensive collection of women’s health tests designed to empower you and give you control over your healthcare decisions. Shop all of our lab tests online today.