Also Known As
ANA Blood Test, Antinuclear Antibody Screen, Fluorescent Antinuclear Antibody, FANA
Purpose of the Antinuclear Antibody Test
When an infection enters your body, the immune system produces antibodies to fight it. But with autoimmune disorders, the immune system produces antinuclear antibodies, which attack the nuclei in your cells. This may cause tissue, organ, and joint damage.
ANA labs may help determine if you have Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), the most common form of lupus, or other autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, Sjögren’s syndrome, scleroderma, or Addison’s disease.
What Does ANA Testing Measure?
The test measures the levels of antinuclear antibodies in your blood.
Who Should Take an ANA Blood Test?
An antinuclear antibody test may be useful if you have symptoms associated with lupus or another autoimmune disorder. These can include:
- Joint pain or swelling
- Changes to skin such as rash or blisters
- Pain in the muscles
ANA Lab Test Preparation
You don’t have to do anything special to prepare for the blood sample collection.
ANA Blood Test Results
Test results are either positive or negative. A positive result doesn’t mean you definitively have an autoimmune condition, but your physician may order other autoimmune disorder tests to help make a diagnosis. Depending on the disorder, you may be able to manage flare-ups of the condition with medication or lifestyle changes, such as diet modification.
Where Can I Get an ANA Lab Test Done Near Me?
ANA testing is simple with Personalabs:
- Shop our collection of tests online, purchase the test you want, and download the lab order. (Physician approval isn’t necessary, depending on the state where you live.)
- Find the lab closest to you and schedule your blood work. We’ve partnered with Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp, two of the nation’s top companies, so you have more than 4,000 locations to choose from nationwide.
- Go to the lab with your ANA blood test order and get your blood work done.
- Find your results in your confidential and secure Personalabs portal, usually within two to 10 business days. (If you need results within a specific timeframe, contact us and we will reach out to the lab on your behalf, as turnaround times can vary by location.) If you want to discuss your results and determine your next steps, make a telemedicine appointment with one of our board-certified physicians.
Our tests put your health in your hands. Use Personalabs to get the information you need to make informed healthcare decisions.